As long as our baby is healthy and peaceful and laughs, life is pink to us; However, when our baby becomes a little restless and sick, the opposite becomes the case.
Especially when your little one coughs dryly, the wheezing sound that emerges, his tiny chest goes up and down violently as he coughs, even if he cannot speak, you know that his throat hurts with every cough. Yes, you will be sad when your baby is sick, and even most mothers will panic when their baby is sick.
Believe me, panicking will not help you or your baby who is tired of coughing. Instead of panic, calm down first. Try to understand why the cough may be caused. Then focus on how dry cough in babies goes.
What is Cough? What are the Types of Cough?
It is a cough that the air in the bronchi are expelled suddenly and loudly by the respiratory organs. Cough is an involuntary reflex. This reflex, which is a natural mechanism, is a defense tool of the respiratory system and many reasons can trigger this reflex.It may occur for a simple reason or it can be a harbinger of a serious illness. Therefore, it is important that you can first distinguish what type of cough your baby has .Whether your baby’s cough is a dry cough or another type of cough ; You can differentiate according to the characteristics and duration of cough.
As the name suggests, it is a type of cough that does not contain mucus secretion or sputum with cough. Dry cough in babies does not contain sputum or mucus, so the air irritates the throat as it is expelled from the lungs.
This type of cough, which usually makes a loud sound, can sometimes be mild. Sometimes it occurs due to the common cold.
Wet (Sputum) Cough
If your cough is wet, it contains sputum or mucus. It is a secretion that contains sputum and mucus white blood cells. If so, a wet cough indicates the presence of an infection.
Infection-induced cough can also bring high fever . For this reason, it is a type of cough that you should control your baby’s temperature frequently. The common cold can also sometimes cause a phlegm cough .
It is a type of cough caused by croup disease caused by an infection. Croup, also known as pseudo-bacterial, is a respiratory disease caused by a viral or bacterial infection that affects the area under your baby’s vocal cords.
Croup cough , which is generally seen in children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years , manifests itself with a barking sound.
Like its name, it is a type of cough that manifests itself with wheezing. Diseases such as asthma and bronchitis can cause this.
It is a form of dry cough seen when your baby is awake and not at bedtime. Usually flu continues after an infection.
The reason it is called psychogenic is that the cause of this cough cannot be explained physically.
It is a cough caused by whooping cough in babies. At first, it progresses as a mild cough, then turns into severe coughing attacks. During the coughing attacks, your baby will be choking and has difficulty breathing.
Causes of Dry Cough in Babies
In general, a dry cough in babies does not contain sputum or mucus, causing painful and strong contractions and is prolonged.
Before you can apply any treatment method for a coughing baby , you must first know the cause of the problem. Here are some possible reasons;
- Common cold is one of the most common causes. A baby who has a cold has a tickling and irritated throat. Dry cough can be seen in babies as a result of this tickling and irritation. As the problem progresses, the cough may become phlegmatic.
- Flu, that is the influenza virus , is also a common cause.
- Low humidity, that is, dry air environment is the cause of dry cough in babies.
- Excessively hot weather can cause a dry cough in babies’ throat, causing a dry cough and tickling.
- This cough can also be seen in the baby who is exposed to cigarette smoke or breathes irritating chemicals.
- As the acidic contents in the stomach reach the mouth as a result of reflux, the throat area of babies becomes irritated. This damage can cause dry cough in babies.
- Whooping cough is also among the causes of dry cough .
- In babies with growth and developmental delay, cystic fibrosis may be the cause of wet or dry cough , which is common and does not end .
How Does Cough In Babies Pass? Cough Treatment
There are many simple home remedies for coughing babies. Generally, when these precautions are taken, your baby gets rid of these painful and tiring contractions in a very short time .
For cough treatment;
- One of the biggest mistakes made is not to open the door glass thinking that your baby will be cold. Ventilate the nursery often and let fresh air in.
- Do not smoke in the environment where the baby is. Do not allow it to be drunk either. “Would it be dear, of course we don’t smoke with the baby, we always drink on the balcony.” I can already hear those who say. You think you left the smoke on the balcony and entered like that, but your clothes, hands, hair and breath carry that smell and smoke to your baby with you.
- Do not use perfume or room fragrances. As these products aggravate your baby’s cough, exposure to the chemicals in your baby also harms him / her.
- Make sure that your baby’s room is not too hot, whether in summer or winter. Using a room thermometer will make your job easier.
What Is Ankyloglossi in Babies : https://kanatlilar.com/2020/10/20/what-is-ankyloglossi-in-babies/
- Do not dress your little one in tight and polyester-containing clothes. These clothes increase your baby’s cough by making your baby sweat. Dress in comfortable and breathable cotton clothes.
- Take care that your baby’s room is humid and you can get a cold steam machine.
What is Shaken Baby Syndrome : https://kanatlilar.com/2020/10/19/what-is-shaken-baby-syndrome/
- Make sure she drinks plenty of water. If your baby is still breastfed, breastfeed often. Liquid substances such as milk and water soften the throat and reduce dry coughing attacks in babies .
- Using nasal spray, moisturizing your baby’s nasal passages can reduce the severity of the cough.
- If your baby is on supplementary food, give him a fresh and warm soup.
- You can soften the throat of a baby over the age of 1, who takes supplementary food, by giving herbal tea or a spoon of honey with warm water.
- Try not to make your baby cry too much. If he cries and screams, your baby’s throat will become more irritated and his coughing attacks will increase. For this, listen to light music and let him rest.
Please remember that you should take your baby to a specialist and get your doctor’s opinion before applying all these recommendations.
When should I take my baby to the doctor?
It is useful to take your baby to the doctor after the cough that starts mild, does not go away for 1 week and gets worse over time.
Cough with sputum that lasts for more than 1-2 months can damage your baby’s bronchi and cause bronchiectasis .
Apart from this, if the dry cough continues in babies, if yellow, green or bloody mucus emerges, breathing more than normal, has difficulty breathing, has fever and has chronic heart or lung disease, you should immediately take your baby to a specialist.
You can leave any questions in your mind as comments.