Although coughing in babies is annoying, it is not a disease; you should see it as a benevolent alarm that gives you a clue about your baby’s health. What is good for coughing in babies? How do sputum cough and dry cough pass in babies? We explained it with solutions that will restore your little one to health!
Why do babies cough?
Cough develops as a response of the airways to various stimuli. Like a fire, her baby’s body says, “Look, there’s a problem with me, I’m trying to fight, help me.” is the way to say. At the beginning of the causes of cough in babies;
- Often times something irritates the airways,
- Runny nose and other upper respiratory tract diseases come from the common cold .
What causes phlegm cough in babies?
If your baby has asthma, a phlegmatic cough may be seen during attacks due to mucus in the airways. In cases where sputum cannot be removed, a dry cough, which mothers often refer to as “persistent cough in babies”, may develop. This can put the baby in trouble due to the irritation of the nasal discharge.
What causes dry cough in babies?
One of the most common types of cough in babies is dry cough. The biggest cause of dry cough is irritation of the windpipe. Allergy and asthma can also cause wheezing and coughing problems in babies. Therefore, allergic coughs can cause both dry and sputum cough. Child Health and Diseases Specialist Dr. Jhon states that this situation develops especially in the spring months.
Causes of night cough in babies?
Child Health and Diseases Specialist Dr. Seda Öz says that the dry cough that occurs at night in babies is due to viral upper respiratory tract infection or allergy.
Cough in babies can be a symptom of what diseases?
The shape and duration of the cough gives clues to finding the underlying causes. See what your baby’s cough is trying to tell you!
- You may suspect pneumonia if the cough is coming from deep within your baby’s chest and does not subside both day and night . In such a case, your baby will have a fever.
- Upset. Dr. Seda Öz; He emphasizes that coughs due to nasal discharge, sinusitis, and gastroesophageal reflux (stomach reflux) occur immediately after the baby falls asleep. In the case of croup, the baby coughs like a bark, a rough, hoarse cough.
- In addition, Chest Diseases Specialist Dr. Jennifer says that if the cough that does not go away in babies is accompanied by weakening, tuberculosis (tuberculosis) disease may be suspected.
- Flu and cough are common problems in babies. Upset. Dr. Jhon states that the biggest cause of cough that lasts less than 2 weeks is upper respiratory tract diseases such as flu, colds and colds. Cough that lasts for 3-12 weeks is a sign of lower respiratory tract diseases.
- If there is a cough that starts suddenly, there may be a foreign substance such as food or a piece of toy in your baby’s throat, check it out.
- In newborn babies, cough can be seen as a reflex, especially during sucking and swallowing. Although there is usually no serious condition, a different disease can be mentioned if there are symptoms such as difficulty in sucking, frequent fever, nasal congestion and difficulty in breathing in addition to cough.
- If you have complaints such as cough in a 2-month-old baby and cough in a 3-month-old baby, this may be a sign of an important disease. Coughs seen in babies under 4 months are usually caused by a viral infection called the RSV virus .
- “My 5-month-old baby is coughing.” mothers who say attention here! Babies can sometimes use cough to attract attention. When he discovers that the baby has attracted attention in this way, he can continue to cough just for the effect of this behavior. While coughing can be irritating, it’s usually not a serious condition.
What is good for coughing in babies?
When the complaints start, there are precautions you can take without going to the doctor. How to stop cough in babies, we have prepared suggestions for you. Let’s try to comfort your baby!
- If it is producing sputum, lay it face down. Gently tapping on the back helps the baby to expel phlegm.
- In spite of night cough in babies, it is necessary to raise the head of the bed. This will prevent a runny nose from going to your baby’s throat.
- It is beneficial to increase the humidity of the room for nasal congestion and cough in babies . You can reduce the severity of your cough by increasing the humidity of the room with the steam engine. Moreover, relieving nasal congestion, alleviates cough. Salt water or sodium fluoride can help you with this. Here are the 10 most preferred cold steam machines and humidifiers for mothers.
- The baby’s consumption of plenty of fluids and good nutrition accelerate his recovery. Keep in mind that water is the most effective method used as an expectorant for babies.
- If your baby is over 6 months old , you may be able to reduce your dairy products a bit, as milk increases secretion.
- You can look for natural remedies for coughing in babies. İbrahim Saraçoğlu proposes marshmallow as a solution to the problem of how cough in babies goes. You can boil the marshmallow bud in half a glass of water for 5 minutes and drink it to your child when it becomes warm. However, this is a recommended formula for children over 3 years old.
- Finally, you should always be on the lookout, but especially if he has a cough, the little one should not be exposed to cigarette smoke.
Should cough syrup be used in babies?
The American Food and Drug Administration does not recommend cough syrup for babies under 2 years old. Even if your child is older, you should not give medication without asking your doctor.
Upset. Dr. Jhon emphasizes that it is wrong to give cough syrup or antibiotic medication to babies without asking the doctor, for example, using syrup in dry cough can increase the severity of the cough.
Child Health and Diseases Specialist Dr. Patrick says that the respiratory muscles and diaphragms of babies younger than 6 months do not develop as much as adults, they do not produce sputum while coughing, and they swallow sputum. He explains that many of the drugs sold for the treatment of cough in babies are expectorants, while the other part is drugs that suppress the cough receptors.
In other words, if you give a drug that is not suitable for the condition that causes your baby’s bear and cough, it may affect the course negatively and cause serious respiratory distress.
In what situations is cough dangerous in babies?
Like many mothers, you say, “My baby is coughing, should I get him to the doctor?” You might be thinking. You did your best, but her baby still didn’t get any better. So consider the following situations:
- If your baby is not yet 2 months old,
- Cough prevents him from sleeping and eating,
- If there is fever, wheezing, shortness of breath, barking cough, wheezing,
- If his cough lasted more than 1 week.
- If he is producing yellow-green colored sputum,
- If it hurts, you should follow the doctor’s way.