You will see that your baby often takes out what he ate, especially in the first months, and this is sometimes very severe. But actually the issue of vomiting in babies works a little differently than you think. Come let’s see what this vomiting is, does being a baby bring vomiting with it?
First, let’s distinguish between vomiting and spitting reflexes in babies.
You can see that your baby comes out white and sometimes hardened parts immediately after feeding, especially in the newborn period. This situation is known colloquially as “The baby’s vomiting like cheese” and will probably be called immediately vomiting in your head. But actually this is some food mixed with mucus and saliva! Babies usually have this reflex:
- Reflux (For detailed information on this topic: Lambs Burning Inside: Reflux in Babies ),
- Shortness of the tube between the esophagus and stomach,
- Feeding while lying down (Find the most suitable: 4 Breastfeeding Position Suggestions to Find the Right Breastfeeding Method! ),
- They show it because of mucus that cannot be removed. While experiencing this, they do not make any effort, the event develops spontaneously. This situation occurs in almost all babies, we can almost call it one of the requirements of infancy.
Vomiting is another situation! This is when almost all the nutrients in the stomach are expelled through the mouth and sometimes even through the nose, with great force and gushing out. If you encounter such a situation, you can start looking for a health problem under it. But the common situation we mentioned above is an innocent situation.
So why do babies throw up?
Your baby’s vomiting is usually caused by stomach problems or an illness caused by a virus. You may experience vomiting in situations such as:
- Colds ,
- Ear or urinary tract inflammation ,
- Pyloric stenosis (Gastrointestinal stenosis),
- Severe cough and crying attack,
- Food allergy.
These are situations that often affect vomiting. However, there may be different reasons behind the vomiting of your baby. You can learn more about the reasons for the baby’s vomiting and accompanying symptoms from the table we have prepared.
|Symptoms accompanying vomiting||Reasons|
|Baby comes out some milk while breastfeeding or after feeding, but his weight and nutrition are fine.||It is a normal and harmless condition.|
|Although the baby looks fine, he vomits while feeding or immediately afterwards.||Your baby may not yet be able to grasp the chewing. So don’t be in a hurry to switch to solid foods. For now, you can feed it with purees. Let’s help: The Savior of Mothers When Their Babies Switch to Supplementary Food: Vegetable Purees!|
|Her baby has a runny nose, nasal congestion and coughs.||He may be vomiting because he swallows mucus from a cold. Cough can also cause vomiting. You should consult a doctor.|
|You offered your baby new supplements, after which he started vomiting and passing watery stools.||There may be a food allergy.|
|Your baby has a fever and diarrhea, it doesn’t look good.||It is most likely a microbial condition.|
|During the journey, the baby looks pale and silent, and has nausea.||It probably did.|
|There is pain around the navel and in the right groin.||See a doctor right away, it could be appendicitis.|
|Bloody and mucous stools are accompanied by severe abdominal pain.||You may have an intestinal obstruction, consult a doctor immediately.|
|When he bends his neck forward, he has pain and is uncomfortable with light.||Consult a doctor immediately, it may be meningitis.|
Viral, allergy or stomach originated vomiting disappears spontaneously within 12-24 hours. But if it takes longer than this time and your baby is experiencing these unexpected situations, there could be a much more serious problem:
- Blood and bile in the vomit,
- Being very severe and repeating,
- No wet diapers for more than 8 hours,
- Being unresponsive and sluggish,
- Crying while holding his belly.
These are all very serious symptoms. Especially a situation that suggests blood in the vomit. This can be caused by cracks in your baby’s esophagus and also a harbinger of problems such as appendicitis.
What is good for vomiting in babies?
- When your baby vomits, he will lose a large amount of fluid. That’s why you need to get him hydrated. But don’t give it right after you vomit, you have to wait for 30-60 minutes to recover.
- Not giving it thinking that liquids will make your stomach sick again can create bigger problems.
- You can use oral rehydration solutions (sugar and salt water solution). These solutions prevent fluid loss and are very effective on vomiting and diarrhea.
- If the vomiting is accompanied by diarrhea, you should keep it away from juices or carbonated drinks.
- If you are breastfeeding your baby, you can continue during this process. (This may also interest you: What is thrush in babies and how is it passed?
- If he’s eating solid foods, you can offer cereal foods, bananas, crackers, toast.
- You have to calm him down and let him rest. Sleep can also help calm your stomach.
What should you do if your baby is vomiting because of a food allergy?
Some food allergies can improve over time, but some may be permanent. If there is no diagnosed allergy, you can tell by observing your baby. Before your baby vomits, examine the foods you give him and see if there are any foods that can affect the allergy. If your baby stops vomiting when you stop eating this food, you may think it is caused by a food allergy.